Penn Central 1968-1976 DVD 5 of 5 (1)
Big, black, busy... And bankrupt.
No, these were not the glory years
The much anticipated and long delayed merger of the Pennsylvania and New York Central in 1968, with the addition of the New Haven in 1969, was not to be a panacea for northeastern railroading. Instead, America's largest bankruptcy resulted in 1970, and soon Penn Central was losing $2 million every three days. The eight year saga came to a merciful end with Conrail's creation in 1976.
In 1968 there were eight daily trains from Pittsburgh to Philly and New York; commuter trains operated as far as Chatham NY, and heavy freights paraded along the mains behind an assortment of modern and vintage diesel and electric power. Locations visited range from the GG-1 washer at Sunnyside yard to Federal Street in Pittsburgh (120 freights daily); Syracuse to Oak Harbor; Chicago to Columbus and many more. Films of a half dozen photographers help us look back to an important transition period -one filled with more variety and excitement than we perhaps remember.
[TVD NOTE:] This producer uses Ligtescribe type DVDs and some titles include literature that may rub against the disc surface in transit to us causing fine scratches. This will not affect DVD play in any way. We ship with a piece of foam to protect the DVD disc.
TVD NOTE: This producer uses "Litescribe" media and therefore the "printed" side is susceptible to fine scratches and fingerprints. Because there are flyers included in some of these products, the flyer has a tendency to leave a few fine scratches on the surface. This will not affect the playability of the DVD.
Award Value: 107 Points Earn points for free DVDs. Signup free.
|Runtime:||1 Hour, 17 Mins ($0.28/min)|
|Aspect Ratio:||Full Screen|
|Region Code:||0 Worldwide NTSC|ITEM NOTES REGARDING THIS PRODUCER
- This producer chooses not to shrinkwrap most of their products. All the products we sell are brand new direct from the producer. We never sell used or second-hand products.
- Some of the videos from this producer may have been acquired from home movie or video equipment. Please understand that these DVDs may not look crystal clear on modern equipment. These DVDs are offered because of their historical significance.
- This producer uses "Litescribe" media and therefore the "printed" side is susceptible to fine scratches and fingerprints. Because there are flyers included in some of these products, the flyer has a tendency to leave a few fine scratches on the surface. This will not affect the playability of the DVD.
- Some of the covers used from this producer may not properly fit the DVD cases.
- This producer has been known to change the cover design, so the cover image you see here may differ from the actual product.
Penn Central 1968-1976 DVD
Kevin McWilliams (North Huntingdon,Pa) on 2014-05-16 09:10:41.
People who found this review helpful: 5
This is a great video I had a VHS copy and watched it so much that It broke.Brought back lots of memories of watching Penn Central trains growing up
Additional remarks by Kevin McWilliams:
Narration: Just enough.
Would kids enjoy this? Yes.
Image quality: Good.
DVD Value: Good Value
Recommend to others? A "Must Have"!
Respond to this review