Fifty Years After LINK - Then and Now Along the Link Trail
O.WINSTON LINK (1914-2001) has earned re-noun both in railroad and photographic history. In Roanoke; Virginia, where were created the black machines which reflected the synchronized flash from Mr. Link's elaborate arrays, stands a museum dedicated to his efforts. Fittingly housed in the former Norfolk & Western passenger station, the 0. Winston Link Museum displays not only photos ranging from huge murals to many unpublished works, but also his camera and flash equipment, artifacts of the fifties such as a gravity gas pump and general store shelves, and various N&W memorabilia.
Back Cover View Exists - Click to View
Fifty years after Mr. Link made his famous portraits of steam in the night, we revisit many of these places to see what has changed and, surprisingly, what has not. Vintage film of 1950s action at Roanoke and elsewhere blends with steam excursions of the 1980s and modern N-S freights to provide a half century perspective of change. Visit with a couple pictured in Mr. Link's convertible at Vesuvius, VA, as they reminisce about the event. Visit, in addition to Roanoke, depots at Matewan, Green Cove, and Abingdon, all of which display the lore of the N&W. The trains are totally changed. The buildings in some cases still stand. But the mountains remain, as does the hospitality of the people in the rural towns where 0. Winston Link worked his nocturnal magic over a half century ago.
[TVD NOTE:] This producer uses Ligtescribe type DVDs and some titles include literature that may rub against the disc surface in transit to us causing fine scratches. This will not affect DVD play in any way. We ship with a piece of foam to protect the DVD disc.
TVD NOTE: This producer uses "Litescribe" media and therefore the "printed" side is susceptible to fine scratches and fingerprints. Because there are flyers included in some of these products, the flyer has a tendency to leave a few fine scratches on the surface. This will not affect the playability of the DVD.
Award Value: 107 Points Earn points for free DVDs. Signup free.
|Runtime:||1 Hour, 00 Mins ($0.36/min)|
|Aspect Ratio:||Full Screen|
|Region Code:||0 Worldwide NTSC|ITEM NOTES REGARDING THIS PRODUCER
- This producer chooses not to shrinkwrap most of their products. All the products we sell are brand new direct from the producer. We never sell used or second-hand products.
- Some of the videos from this producer may have been acquired from home movie or video equipment. Please understand that these DVDs may not look crystal clear on modern equipment. These DVDs are offered because of their historical significance.
- This producer uses "Litescribe" media and therefore the "printed" side is susceptible to fine scratches and fingerprints. Because there are flyers included in some of these products, the flyer has a tendency to leave a few fine scratches on the surface. This will not affect the playability of the DVD.
- Some of the covers used from this producer may not properly fit the DVD cases.
- This producer has been known to change the cover design, so the cover image you see here may differ from the actual product.