Norfolk and Western 611 Makin the Grade DVD 5 of 5 (1)
The Norfolk & Western “J” class 4-8-4 is considered by many to be the best engineered passenger steam locomotive ever built. Designed to handle passenger trains in the mountains unassisted and to make time in the flatlands, the class had a combination of speed and power unmatched anywhere.
In May, 2016, the last surviving “J” returned to her hometown of Roanoke, Virginia, to pull a series of excursions over the mountains she was designed to conquer. Diverging Clear Productions had three cameras on hand to capture the sights and sounds of the big 4-8-4 as she worked the Blue Ridge and Christiansburg grades.
This program begins with a look at the development of Norfolk & Western’s big steam power in the 20th Century, before looking at #611’s returns to service in 1982 and 2015. From there, we see a few scenes of 611’s April, 2016, runs out of Spencer, North Carolina, before heading to Roanoke and the Blue Ridge Mountains.
In Roanoke, #611 headed up Saturday and Sunday trips to Lynchburg over Blue Ridge and Walton over Christiansburg. We visited location on the heart of these grades, concentrating on locations where the locomotive would be working and skipping the flatter portions of the routes. Locations include Bonsack, Blue Ridge, Montvale, Shawsville and Christiansburg.
For big steam working grades on the mainline, it doesn’t get much better than this!
Running time 70 minutes
Award Value: 89 Points Earn points for free DVDs. Signup free.
|Norfolk and Western 611 Makin the Grade DVD|
|Runtime:||1 Hour, 10 Mins|
|Producer:||Diverging Clear Productions|
|Aspect Ratio:||Wide Screen|
|Region Code:||0 Worldwide NTSC|ITEM NOTES REGARDING THIS PRODUCER
- Some of the videos from this producer may have been acquired from home movie or video equipment. Please understand that these DVDs may not look crystal clear on modern equipment. These DVDs are offered because of their historical significance.
- Some of the DVDs or Blu-rays from this producer are manufactured using DVD-R or BD-R material.
- This producer chooses not to shrinkwrap most of their products. All the products we sell are brand new direct from the producer. We never sell used or second-hand products.
- The products this producer offers have a home-made appearance. They are usually made in extremely small quantities. Everything we sell is brand new direct from the producer.
- This product comes in a slimline 7mm width DVD case.
Norfolk and Western 611 Makin the Grade DVD
TRAINMASTER (HENDERSONVILLE NC US) on 2016-10-09 06:54:40.
People who found this review helpful: 1
We have verified that this reviewer has purchased this item from Train Video Depot because this reviewer is a member of our loyalty program and was signed in when they purchased the item and when they left the review.
Program starts with a nice review of N&W steam through the years. Some of the footage has been improved by the digital conversion no doubt. Narration is clear, well done and not excessive. Video is rock steady. Shots are clean and clear and the audio tracks are real. A very well done release by this producer. I will be paying more attention to Diverging Clear Productions. Recommended.
Additional remarks by TRAINMASTER:
Narration: Just enough.
Would kids enjoy this? Maybe.
Image quality: Excellent!
DVD Value: Excellent Value!
Recommend to others? Definitely.
Respond to this review